Solar Panel Installer
This workstation introduces students to the basic principles of solar power. It leads
them through a series of hands-on activities to install a set of solar panels on a roof
system using industry grade materials. Students work with a solar panel mounting
system, solar panel roof anchors, electrical wire, storage batteries, power inverter,
and solar charge controller, and tie all to a residential electrical service panel.
Curriculum manual is provided in a three-ring binder, with pages contained in page protectors. Easy to follow step by step activities are highlighted using full color photographs. Once introduced to career related information ( job description, education and training requirements, job prospects, and income ranges) the student begins a hands-on work experience, using professional tools of the trade to complete projects or tasks. Pre- and post-tests, worksheets, answer sheets, and instructors guide.
Solar Energy Workstation
Wooden framed mockup of 1/2 of a gable roof, with see-through locking tool cabinet.
• 20 Hour Curriculum Package
• STEM Based
• Professional Tools of the Trade
• Completely Equipped for 3 Class Periods
Hands On Activities
- Mount a solar panel anchor system to a roof section
- Assemble a solar panel rail system to the roof anchors
- Mount two solar panels on to the roof
- Wire the solar panels to each other
- Wire the solar panels to a solar controller
- Wire the controller to a battery storage station
- Connect the storage batteries in a series circuit
- Connect the batteries to a power inverter
Equipment and Tools
Sine wave inverter; three solar panels; solar charge controller; light bar with lamps; 6 volt sealed batteries; cables; solar mount flat top standoff; solar mount rail; brackets; wire stripper; wire cutter; #2 Phillips screwdriver; bladed screwdriver; digital multimeter; voltage detector; ratchet; sockets; deep well sockets; drill driver; tape measure; tool belt; chalk line.